Happy Monday! Thank you for your wonderful comments on my latest post about the overalls I’ve been loving lately! It feels so good to be back and share with you guys one of the recipes I’ve loved since I was a little girl, arroz con leche. With the holidays coming up, there is more time to spend with family, and there is definitely more time to cook some yummy recipes! I know I will be trying a lot of new recipes this month, and I am so excited to see how they turn out.
Arroz con leche means rice with milk.
And that is what it basically is, rice pudding. This is such a staple dessert in Latin American families, and in mine growing up, it was no different. I loved making it with my family, but never knew exactly how it was made. I like it when it’s warm and cold, but it is definitely better once it’s cold. We have it not just as a dessert but sometimes for breakfast as well. Honestly it’s just good at any time.
I finally was able to get the recipe from my mom, I’ve been wanting it for so long! I’m so happy to finally make it and for it to actually turn out so good, just like I remembered it. It’s so easy to make, and not too many ingredients.
-2 cups of water
-1 cup of white rice
-4-6 cups of milk
-1 cup pf sugar
-1 can of sweetened and condensed milk
-3 cinnamon sticks
-ground cinnamon (optional)
-1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional)
1. In a big pot, bring the water and the cinnamon sticks to a boil.
2. Add the rice, and bring to boil one more time.
3. Add 2 cups of milk, sugar, and the shredded coconut. Let it cook for 15 minutes uncovered.
4. Reduce the heat and add 2 cups of milk. Let it simmer for 45 mins to an hour until it has the consistency you like (for thicker arroz con leche allow more time for it to simmer)
5. Add the sweetened and condensed milk, let it cool and enjoy!
So here you have it! This is more of a Colombian arroz con leche recipe, but it is so worth trying it. Hope you enjoyed it, and let me know what you think! Thank you for stopping by as always.